Monday, June 11, 2007

Halycon Days Out West

My temporary retirement started with a trip out to Western Canada to visit Scott in Vancouver, my Dad (John) and step Mom (Judy) in Victoria, then a few people out in Calgary.

This is the view over Vancouver from the top of Grouse Mountain. This particular assault upon the Grouse Grind reinforced (quite heavily) the fact that I need to get back into shape!

This is my dad and step-mom's 28' Hunter sailboat. We took it out for 2 nights and 3 days, sailing to Roche Harbor, Poet's Cove, and Sidney, before returning to Oak Bay, Victoria.


Apparently I'm a little too serious about all this sailing business, but I figure I had better brush up on my skills (in other words - get some) in case I end up in Marseille caring for someone's yacht. Who am I kidding... I'd likely be swabbing the decks. I forgot to bring my water wings, but I'm still having fun!

Just chillin to the max, laying in the sun, pullin' my rope.

The first night we stopped in a hidden little place called Poet's Cove, then moved on to Sidney for the second night.


I was just curious to see how thing thing operates when in tilt mode.


A short walk along Portland Island uncovered some grass covered cliffs that provided a great place to lounge in the sun and graze upon the pesticide-free grasses.


This is the view from just outside my dad's house in Victoria. The mountains in the background belong to the Olympic National Park in the States.


Just off the shore of Victoria is Chatham Island where we anchored for a BBQ dinner on the boat and a stroll around the island.


This is a bald eagle that was sitting in a tree on Beach Drive in Victoria. Just days before, a pair of these eagles destroyed an enormous amount of blue heron eggs in a sanctuary.


The Lilac Festival in Calgary was one of my favorite moments when I lived there. This year there were more than 100,000 people that cruised up and down 4th avenue to listen to live music, shop at the booths, enjoy the beer gardens, and people watch.


Lake Moraine is one of my favorite places to hike, but unfortunately it was too early in the season.

1 comment:

AnnAlisa said...

WOW I want to visit your Dad too... Between the amazing view from his house, the accessibility to nature, the hiking, and of course the sailing, I am hoping he wants another daughter...I am even a seasoned sailor...AND can swab decks...