Thursday, October 25, 2007

The High Peaks (and costs) of Switzerland

October 25 - 27, 2007


As a miserable rain swept across Italy, I was thankfully boarded onto an 8 hour train whisking me away to Lucerne, Switzerland. The temperature had dropped significantly from Italy, and I still had only a windbreaker and two long sleeve shirts to keep me warm, shortly to be supplemented by a much needed toque. Nestled between the fogged-in foothills and the calm lake, Lucerne seemed eerily vacant, similar to the way it would leave my wallet if I chose to stay very long. The cold wind breezed through the empty streets as I sought refuge in the only pub showing any signs of humans. Even the pub was quiet, but upon being presented a bill for $9.50 a pint, the desolation suddenly made much more sense. I knew my time in Switzerland wouldn't be much longer than the time required to scarf down an overpriced, over-touristed Toblerone.

Interlaken was an intriguing stopover with paragliders constantly dropping from the steep mountains that rose straight up from the small town. This adrenaline-filled mecca showed no mercy in its attempts to tease my sense of adventure, while mocking my quickly-draining pocketbook. With self-restraint, I settled for watching the premier outdoor screening of an adrenaline film (Play Gravity) while nested under a wool blanket. My distinct lack of understanding the Swiss-German language left me looking at the pretty pictures and bobbing to the soundtrack! My next closest encounter to an adrenaline rush was watching the tennis tournament being televised from nearby Basel while spinning on a wind-trainer at the local gym.



Lucerne, Switzerland. One of two covered bridges in the city.



Lucerne, Switzerland. View of cafe and old buildings along river.



Lucerne, Switzerland. Famous frescoe building front.



Approaching Interlaken, Switzerland. View from the train during the descent into the valley.


Interlaken, Switzerland. Several paragliders swooping from the steep hills surrounding the city.


Interlaken, Switzerland. Paragliders landing in the field in the middle of the city, with the mountains teasing me in the background.


Interlaken, Switzerland. Another stunning view of the cliffs, river, and paragliders.

No comments: