Sunday, December 30, 2007

Highlights of Europe Travel 2007, Part 1

During my European travels I attempted to do more than simply just put my foot down and check a box on my 'been there' list. I travelled with only a rough planned itinerary that I broke even before leaving Canada, and this allowed me the flexibility to go wherever the wind blew me. I found myself venturing much further than expected and staying much longer than would be possible for regular holiday travel. I split my adventures between the non-private life of the international hostels and the local couchsurfing community. Through the couchsurfing experience I met incredible people that welcomed me into their house and social life and I was able to experience life outside the tacky tourist zones. I gained insights into current affairs, past history, geographical and social divides, and (almost) regular everyday life... all of which we in North America are largely ignorant of, at least partially due to the influence of the heavily biased North American media. It is interesting to see how other people view our own country and continent from their own perspectives.

For the purposes of my Highlights blog, I will stick to the mostly superficial experiences of my travels so far. If you find yourself lost with the geography, check out the interactive google map that I have set up. For this blog Part 1, follow the blue lines. The red lines will be covered in Part 2 of this blog. Here we go...

Spain

  • Gaudi's surreal and organic architecture. Sagrada Familia temple, and the alice-in-wonderland style of Guell Park.
  • Invite-only, all-inclusive (free) Vice Magazine party on the crazy barge!
  • Meeting an incredible group of people in Granada, watching flamenco, and of course seeing the Alhambra.



Germany & Amsterdam
  • Cycling around Amsterdam with Greg & Sheila.
  • Spinning up the spiral staircases of the massive Dom cathedral in Koln Germany.




Prague, Czech Republic
  • Donating to the mental health charity, painting a brick, and adding it to the growing wall.
  • Exporing the twisted streets, hills, and gardens of beautiful Prague.
  • Bar hopping through the many underground cavernous bars and being harassed by one annoying Czech that kept reminding me how Gretzky cried during his coaching of the Canadian Olympic team. I should have shirted him and kept going.




Vienna, Austria
  • Hot yoga. I'm not sure I've ever sweat that much in my life. Also jogged a little! On purpose.
  • Watching nightly free classical music projection on the outdoor bigscreen at Rathausplatz.
  • Being woken from a nap in the park by a anti-government, anti-system, techno-pounding convoy of interesting people!


Bratislava, Slovakia
  • Almost getting hit by a crack of lightning during a flash storm. I almost peed myself.
  • Watching outdoor soccer being played in a sandpit.
  • I didn't stumble upon much of interest here... I've heard the mountains are by far the best place.

Budapest, Hungary
  • Spontaneously leaving for the Exit Festival in Serbia the morning after I got to Budapest, then returning immediately after the concert.
  • Meeting a great crew of couchsurfers who adopted me into their social lives.
  • Waking up choking on my own sweat attempting to sleep in 46 degree C weather, then relaxing by the massive outdoor pools during the day.
  • Eger, the Valley of the Beautiful Women was an unfairly advertised disappointment, not a highlight.
  • 5km jog (again, on purpose) on the rubberized track around the island.
  • Partying at the Buddha Beach until the sun came up.


Novi Sad/Belgrade, Serbia
  • Jumping on a 7 hour train to Serbia with 5 minutes to spare, standing room only.
  • Seeing the Exit Festival in Novi Sad, featuring The Beastie Boys, Groove Armada, Snoop Dog, Trentemoller, Nic Fanciulli, Danny Tenaglia, LTJ Bukem, Basement Jaxx, Roger Sanchez, John Digweed, Eric Prydz, and dancing until well after the sun rose with Ritchie Hawtin (and his vibrating pink crazy go-go dancer).
  • Doing the train ride back to Budapest, and back to Serbia again.
  • Navigating without map or money, past bombed out buildings all before 7am after spending a night on the train wafting in and out of consciousness.
  • Eating homegrown fruit (the best I have ever tasted) and trying the local cuisine.
  • A personalized architectural tour of secret places, rooftops, random fruits, and the castle walls of Belgrade.
  • Meeting a lot of great people through couchsurfing and hearing stories and impressions of the old days of war and bombings.
  • Karaoke with the good old songs from the former Yugoslavia days, oh which I could understand none of the lyrics.




Sarajevo, Bosnia
  • Walk up the steep hills, past all the houses, and near terrain riddled with undetonated landmines. Getting scared out of my wits by wild goats poking through holes in abandoned buildings.
  • Bullets in the houses, bombed out apartment complexes, and craters from roadside bombs scarring the everyday sidewalks.
  • Muslim prayer echoing through the city.
  • Sitting at the site of the old winter Olympics which is now completely destroyed by the ignorance of war.
  • Eating cow brain accidentally, and even better yet, convincing everyone at my table to try it before we knew what it was.
  • Spontaneous nights out at the local hangouts with random people that I met.
  • Running like a fugitive from the traffic police as I was trying to leave town.



Dubrovnik, Croatia (Lower Coast)
  • Exploring the magical city of Dubrovnik at night.
  • Driving a car, and camping in a tent (even if it was only car camping).




Kotor/Petrovac, Montenegro
  • Discovering the very uncomfortable feeling I thought I had lost my wallet when entering into a very foreign country...
  • Sitting under a pub umbrella while lightning was shredding the sky and torrential rain poured through the streets. Power was knocked out and the lightning was the only source of illumination. Local girls were singing traditional songs while sipping beer as the thunder pounded the hills.
  • Finding the right time to shower and handwash clothes, which was difficult due to the frequent power and water outtages. Yet, there were many multi-million dollar yachts with uniformed guards at the harbour. Undoubtedly major drug money.
  • Chilling on the sandy beaches of Petrovac.




...Continued in Part 2...

No comments: