Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Splitting Split, Croatia

Split, Croatia, August 7 - August 8

The busride from Sarajevo to Split was made interesting by the events from the previous night. My new friends in Sarajevo convinced me to stay out late the evening before I was supposed to leave. Combined with my hostel-room-turned-brothel, I was only able to sleep for about 30 minutes before making a dash for the bus station.

I had neglected to buy a metro pass due to my lack of sleep. My run-in (or more accurately, run-from) the traffic cops was something I would have preferred not to deal with. The corrupt traffic cops target backpackers for skipping bus fare. Approaching me with a smile on their faces, they asked me to produce my ticket, which of course I could not. They already had the 'ticket book' open, and showed me the fine I had to pay them immediately, which was certain to end up in their pockets. After refusing to give them my passport (wasn't quite sure what my rights were), and a little bumping around (mostly of me)... I attempted to leave the bus, when they slammed the door and wouldn't let me leave. After feigning that they caught my hand in the door (with a manly yelp), I was able to push my way through the closed door and past the officers. When they continued to follow me, I told them I had to hit a bank machine to pay them. Dodge left, dodge right, fake for the train station, then dart for the bus station... while carrying a big backpack, a mild hangover, and a rapidly approaching necessity to hit the toilet. They easily found me at the bus station and waited while I paid for my bus ticket (hopefully leaving in a mere 15 minutes). I confronted them and yelled at them to call the police, which I knew they would not do. If the police came, they wouldn't get to pocket the money, and they would waste their time. I wasn't sure if my tactic would work, but I figured it was worth the risk. And it paid off.

Splitting Sarajevo for Split, an 8 hour busride took me through the beautiful Bosnian and Croatian countryside, and northwards to Split. I met up with Scott and Daniella who were camping down the coast for a few days, and the timing worked out well. We spent a brief period of time in Split, then searched for a place to camp for the evening. The next day was spend lounging in the buoyant waters and on the rocky Croatian beaches before driving down to Dubrovnik.


Some architecture in Split.


The promenade along the water in Split.




Rocky beaches along the coast.



Shadows of palm trees swaying in the light wind.



Roadside fruit stands on the drive down to Dubrovnik.

No comments: