Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Athens/Thessoloniki, Greece

September 4th - 11th, 2007

As the Ios-cough began to tighten its grip around my throat and lungs, I was barely able to survive roaming the markets and boutiques as well as the ruins that were scattered around the city. Luckily I had seen the Acropolis before heading down to the islands, and all I could manage vertically was a short hike to a vantage point overlooking the city. Although Athens is not touted as a great destination due to the dirtiness of the city, it does have some hidden cafe districts that were pretty cool.

Two very calm nights led me to believe a recovery was on its way, so I boarded a 6 hour train up to Thessoloniki without a seat reservation. When I arrived, my couchsurfing hostess Myrto picked me up at the train station and took me to a trendy cafe to meet some of her friends. It was immediately apparent that Thessoloniki was a much more attractive city than Athens, with much more attractive people in it! Since it was the weekend, Myrto was keen for an adventure, so we decided to drive down to an area in the Piliou Mountains. The drive took us past Mount Olympus and up into the hills of Piliou where the mythical centaurs roamed in ages past. We drove through small villages nestled in the hills, orchards and beehives on desolate dirt roads, and along beachside resorts which were now quiet from the summertime hordes.

Darkness had set upon us, and we needed a place to stay... but not before a bite to eat. We stopped in a small village and heard music playing down in the hills. Following our ears, we discovered an outdoor wedding in full swing in an absolutely magical place amongst an old church, one of the largest trees I had ever seen in my life, and plenty of stonework. Urged by the smell of the roasting wedding dinner, our stomachs directed us a few short steps away to a quaint restaurant/hotel called The Lost Unicorn. Not only had the centaurs vanished from these hills, but it appeared that some irresponsible soul had also lost their unicorn. Sometime after midnight, we found a hotel room with an ocean view, but had to wait until morning before checking out the amazing beach and rock formations.

Sunday evening we left Piliou and drove back up north for a self-administered therapeutic massage from the thermal waterfalls. Back in Thessoloniki, I kept drinking mountain tea to help rid myself of my cold. I also accompanied Myrto to her English teaching class as her advisor and evaluator from Canada... I think the children were a little scared!


Athens, Greece. View from beneath the Acropolis and out onto the city.


Athens, Greece. View of the Acropolis and the Parthenon.


Athens, Greece. Acroplis.


Athens, Greece. Random ruins in the city.


Athens, Greece. Besides the mythical centaurs and unicorns, I hadn't realized they also had to fear Romania's vampires as well. At least this guy and his dog are armed with loads of garlic. I didn't dare talk to this guy for fear he might say HHHHHello...



Piliou Mountains, Greece. Myrto looking out onto the beaches.


Piliou Mountains, Greece. Massive tree where wedding was held the night before.


Piliou Mountains, Greece. Octopus hanging about.

Somewhere Outside Thessoloniki, Greece. Natural thermal waterfalls.

No comments: