Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bulgaria, Belgrade

September 12 - 27th, 2007

A late train from Greece dumped me off in the wet, barren city of Sofia, Bulgaria at about 2am. Not wanting to go through the pains of finding a room for a few hours, I chose to catch up on some emails at the expense of some much needed sleep. I divided my time between a 24 hour internet cafe and wandering the silent streets until I could catch the early morning bus. The damp cold must have crept back into my lungs as the Ios cough squeezed even harder.

Arriving in Belgrade I was completely exhausted and almost immediately fell into a motionless 16 hour sleep. My cold worsened and I literally retired myself to bed for several days. Since I had met a bunch of people in Belgrade before, I already had a social circle, and decided to put my camera away for most of my stay. I managed to catch part of a Serbian soccer match, watched Serbia win the Davis Cup doubles tennis tournament, made nickel bets on the horse races, enjoyed movies and popcorn, visited a local small town, taught a 'golf lesson', enjoyed the weather in the parks, and received an informal education in music.


Belgrade, Serbia. Sava church, national library (where nobody is allowed to wear shorts for fear it would distract the studies), and a community park in front (where people are allowed to wear shorts, unless of course they intend to enter the library).

No comments: