Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Prague - June 28 - July 3

Praha – June 28-July 3
I arrived in Prague on what was erroneously titled an overnight sleeper train. Even at mid-morning, the swarms of khaki-clad tourists were enough to guide me through the twisted streets and towards one of Prague´s centrepieces – the astronomical clock in the Old Town. After napping at the hostel for a few hours, I set out into the streets to explore. At a popular pedestrian intersection, I made a donation to a mental health foundation in exchange for a brick which I was able to paint and place on the temporary structure rising with each donation. The twisted streets and alleyways, having nullified my normal sense of direction, allowed me the pleasure of becoming continually lost among the city´s densely packed ornate buildings, viewpoints, and beautiful women.

Ah yes, a description of Prague without a description of the beautiful women would not be complete. Amongst other… um… assets, the colour and intensity of their eyes continually crippled my ability to think (diversion of blood flow from the brain could also be used to describe this phenomenon)… It was as though there was a single creator for the eyes of every Czech woman… an ancient alchemist concocting them from glacier blue mountain-fed mineral water, blended with a splash of charcoal, and infused with two heaping spoons of raw animal aphrodisiac. The result is paralyzing.

The nightlife and social scene was busy with tourists and locals horded in the cavernous underground of bars and clubs. Freedom from the oppression of religion and communism, Prague has evolved into a very accepting society where it seems as though anything goes. One of the clubs I went to was a maze of interconnected chambers allowing people to freely spelunk through sections containing casual lounges, stand-up bars, dance floors, and even strip shows. I met a few locals out on the dance floor who showed me around the next day and evening, which allowed me to see other parts of the Czech culture. At an out-of-the-centre neighbourhood pub, I met two beautiful girls who were into photography, a very talented oil artist, and another guy who would just not let me forget about Wayne Gretzky’s crying fiasco when the Czechs beat the Canadians in hockey.

I also met with some couchsurfers(couchsurfing.com) who were both hosting and visiting in Prague. I got taken for a personal tour of some secret little spots including a sneaky one on the famous Charles Bridge, and also taken out to a fantastic authentic dinner with great people.

I have heard that people tend to spend more time than planned in Prague… I have yet to decide whether it is because of the enslaving eyes of the beautiful women, the beautiful architecture, or simply that they just can’t figure which way is out!


The astronomical clock.


River with the old town to the left, and Charles Bridge ahead.


Charles Bridge.


A disaster for those daring high heels...


The astronomical clock...


Cafe culture and buildings.


Charles bridge from lookout above city.


Cool little canal and cafe.


Bricks... see mine?

No comments: