Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Valley of the Beautiful Women, Hungary

Eger, Hungary, July 22, 2007

Eger, a small town two hours outside of Budapest, boasts "The Valley of the Beautiful Women", where casks of Egri Bikaver (bulls blood wine) ferment in the wine cellars carved into the rocky walls of the valley. Wine, beautiful women... certainly an enticing combination that a bachelor such as myself is too weak to resist.

A tantalizing sign stands erected before me at the top of the valley, promising the pleasures below. I prepare myself. Armed with extravagant visions and my pants bulging with... umm... money for the wine, I stand firm in my optimism for the experiences to come. I slowly go down into the valley of the beautiful women, poking in and out of various caverns and cellars at my whim and leisure, while taking time to suckle the individual flavours of the intoxicants.


In reality, this valley should have been named "The Valley of One Moderately Beautiful Woman, and Several Crusty Old Men". I am sure there is not enough wine in the valley to obscure my vision sufficiently to convince me of the true name of the valley. If I wanted beautiful women, I should have stayed in Budapest!





Eger. A quaint town that boasts The Valley of the Beautiful Women.



Me, drinking Egri Bikaver (bulls blood wine).




They dont advertise this view of the shop owners when discussing the supposed beautiful women.

No comments: