Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Vienna - July 3 - July 10

Ah, Vienna! A nice safe and quiet place to spend some time relaxing from the travels. These are my thoughts as I am laying down on the grass in the shade of the trees, allowing my mind to run free... occasionally reading, daydreaming, watching the old buildings get older, or eavesdropping on a particular woman's conversation regarding her views on the problems with marriage (mostly her, in my opinion). I have already done many of the tourist things, hence my hiatus from using my camera, and my current mood of pure relaxation.

As I am enjoying the serenity of Vienna and drifting into my subconscious, I am suddenly catapulted into the throes of a raving street party... or a partying street rave... given my rapid ejection from my daydreams, I am not entirely sure. I needed to find out who belonged to the massive subwoofer that was echoing though my skull. As I approached the street, I found myself in the middle of a convoy of speakers, DJs and their decks, and enough bass power to awaken Kurt Cobain. The trucks/flatbeds were being followed by hundreds of grooving dancers, ravers, and groupies as they pulsed through the street. This seemed to be some sort of protest against the 'organized' government, war, drug stereotypes, sex classification, and general restriction of freedoms (a few women interpreted the brassiere as being part of the restrictions they were protesting against). Due to my distinct lack of German, I'm not sure exactly what their cause or reasons were. Ach gut. It was a great street party. So much for quiet, safe Vienna!

Whether the weather in Vienna cooperates, which is generally not the case when I visit, the Viennese are always out of their homes and enjoying the many venues available to them. My friend Julia's schedule was quite limited since she was leaving for India in a few days, but we managed to find a little time to enjoy the simulated urban beaches where they brought in sand, beach chairs, and beer, as well as catch one of the nightly outdoor screenings of a classical music performance at the Rathausplatz. I also took a day trip to Bratislava in Slovakia to wander around the old town and enjoy the city!

I should also mention that Julia managed to get me out for a few bouts of Bikram yoga (I don't think I've EVER sweat that much in my life) and also for a few jogs through the hills surrounding Vienna.


Street protest / danceclub outside a government building.


One of the vehicles sporting DJs and subwoofers.


The Rathausplatz nightly screening of classical music.

No comments: