Saturday, May 31, 2008

Fiesta, Fiesta - Guatemala City

May 31, 2008

I ventured back to Guatemala City a little sooner than I otherwise would have in order to make it to Gessica's birthday party. The girls had specifically moved the day of the fiesta so that I would be able to attend! Yoshi was hosting the party at her house, and Gessica was preparing a tantalizing greek meal for the dinner party. Despues la cena, the party ramped up into music and dancing that lasted until quite late at night, and I got a personal salsa lesson from Yoshi's sister Sharoon who was brave and patient enough to humour my 'skills'...

After the party, I decided that I finally needed to learn some proper Spanish so that I could put to good use the plethora of dirty words that Yoshi and Gessica were teaching me. On Monday morning I jumped on a bus heading into the mountain region to attend a language school in Guatemala's second largest city, Quetzeltenango, more commonly known as Xela (Shay La). I have never challenged myself with attempting to learn a language before, and I was curious if I could do it without resorting to a cranial transplant. Que Huevos? What huevos?



Guatemala City. I think that's most of the people at the party!


Guatemala City... don't ask, cause I don't know!


Guatemala City. Group Hug.


Guatemala City. So, there actually is someone brave enough in this world to risk their feet! Sharoon helped hone my out-of-this-world skillz at salsa dancing.


Guatemala City. Yup, still dancing!


Guatemala City. Chillin with Veronica!


Guatemala City. Once it was discovered I am ridiculously ticklish, I had to be on my guard for the rest of the night.


Guatemala City. But when just being on guard wasn't enough, I had to resort to going on the offense!


Guatemala City. I think this is a self-portrait!


Guatemala City. Of course, the dancing is best left to the girls!


Guatemala City. Just chilling with Sharoon!


Guatemala City. Da Girls.

1 comment:

Jan said...

What's Spanish for 'Playa!' ?? ;-)