Friday, May 9, 2008

Sexo in the Ciudad, Guatemala City

May 6 - May 13, 2008
Guatemala City

I must admit that the title 'Sex in the City' is a little misleading, however, there is some validity to the innuendo nonetheless. I hadn't intended to spend any time in Guatemala City, as it is rumoured to be quite dangerous and with nothing much of interest for tourism. My ever-flexible itinerary was bent once again as and I was convinced by three local girls that it would be worthwhile to come to the capitol city. That's where the trouble started... How could I refuse the opportunity to get off the beaten tourist path and get to know some new intriguing people?

My eight night stay in Guatemala City surpassed my expectations, and I certainly experienced things that many other travelers will never experience in the city. I had fantastic company, and was kept quite busy with social engagements during the day and evenings. Among the highlights included restaurants, traditional food, bars, cafe's, and birthday parties. One birthday party was held on a large property on the outskirts of town, and succeeded in removing any benefits from my previous vegetarian-month by stuffing me with obscene amounts of fabulous tasting steak, chicken, and sausage... no matter how full I insisted I was!

As for the Sex In The City innuendo... Yoshis profession is a sex therapist and counsellor! She invited me to sit in on the final exam for a sex education university course and also for a live airing of her sex therapy radio show... hence Sexo in the Ciudad! Unfortunately, it was all over my head because of my lack of Spanish!


Guatemala City. A night out on the town at Buddha Bar with Gessica and Yoshi!


Guatemala City. Yoshi and Gessica dancing at Buddha Bar. I really need to get myself into some salsa classes here!


Guatemala City. I look rather studious, don't I? I am reluctant to point out that the Spanish books I am struggling with are the equivalent of a 1 year old's bedtime story...


Guatemala City. Self-portrait of Yoshi and I at the massive outdoor relief map of Guatemala that was built in the early 1900's.


Guatemala City. The downtown square, where street vendors sell and cut fresh pineapple with spice for 3 Quetzals, equivalent to 40 cents including the sticky hands and face from attempting to eat these without proper utensils.

Guatemala City. Valeria and her friends at a small pub with fantastic live music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!