Sunday, May 25, 2008

In Deep, Honduras

May 19 - May 25, 2008

Honduras: Utila Bay Island, La Ceiba Carnival

I really hadn't intended to do any scuba diving until going to Thailand, but sometimes the world just pushes you in a way that you have to go with the flow. I had a few days to kill before meeting up with my friends from Honduras for the La Ceiba Carnival and was able to squeeze in an open water diving course on Utila, one of the Bay Islands. Thankfully, I was able to find a dive package that included accommodations at a hotel with a pool that helped fend off the hungry sand flies and suffocatingly humid weather. The first day, before my actual lessons began, I managed to get on a dive boat headed to the north side of the island to do some snorkeling. The highlight was snorkeling with (or rather, attempting to chase) some pilot whales that were swimming in the area!

My first experience with diving was slightly unnerving. After gearing up, our group descended fully to a depth of about 2 feet. While this should have been about as scary as being in a bathtub, I found myself in a moderate state of panicky Rob-Rapid-Movements when my mask began to fill with water, my contacts began to burning from the salt water, and water was threatening to fill my nose! The only thing that kept me from returning to the surface was the fact that my arms were interlocked by other students and there was no escape! I settled somewhat uncomfortably into the strange world of breathing through my regulator in an oddly Darth Vader-ish sort of way.

Once I became accustomed to the strange sensation of breathing under water, I was able to enjoy my time in a truly completely different world. During my first dives I witnessed flocks of squid somehow always meticulously arranged in flying-V patterns, the colourful parrot fish, a tiny baby octopus who was curious but cautious, ugly smiling sea worms poking out of the sands, a few sea turtles, a 5' eagle ray waving along the contours, glimmering fish swarming in circular vortices, a baby seahorse eternally waiting in a single spot collecting underwater cobwebs, and the strangely alien and organic mysterious plant life living among the coral reef.

After returning to the surface, I returned to the mainland to meet up with my friends for the La Ceiba Carnival, the largest carnival between New Orleans and Rio de Janiero. I checked into my cockroach infested hotel before heading out for some street food, street music, and local beers. Within the first 5 minutes I found someone's hand in my pocket looking for money. I surprised both him and myself by my reaction to grab him by the lapel and throw him into the crowd. Although I regretted not reacting by breaking his fingers or punching him, it was probably lucky as it is quite common for people to carry knives or guns! Unfortunately, this guy escaped into the crowd likely in pursuit of other victims... In the next 2 days, the pickpockets relieved Elly of her wallet and another girl of her purse.

The next day and evening, the streets were piled with probably a few hundred thousand people to watch the parade and party along with the many live bands that played on the numerous stages along the main street, dominated by Punta, Reggaeton, and other latin music. The La Ceiba festival was cool to experience, but next time I think I will opt for the real thing and head to Rio for what I expect would be a more serious showing of costumes, masks, dancing, and general hedonism.


Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras. The dive boat at the Utila Dive Centre. Unfortunately I was too concerned about attempting to breathe underwater than to consider combining it with taking any underwater photos.


La Ceiba, Honduras. Although there were less masks and costumes than I would have expected at such a Carnival, there were a few people that stuck out!


La Ceiba, Honduras. Another of the interesting floats that floated by.


La Ceiba, Honduras. The streets were packed as the floats and vehicles pressed their way through the crowd. Notice the Wendy's sign in the background.. the Pizza Hut was just slightly out of the frame.


La Ceiba, Honduras. A few more costumed dancers on the floats.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.